Zeeuws Spek, you either love it or you hate it. I don’t know people who are neutral when it comes to Zeeuws Spek. I usually buy my Zeeuws Spek from the butcher. Not because I don’t want to make it myself, but more because the lust for Zeeuws Spek always takes me by surprise. I want it! Here And Now! And you don’t make Zeeuws Spek in half an hour, it has to marinate for at least 24 hours.
But, the desire to make it myself is strong. So I bought a piece of pork belly and I made my own Zeeuws Spek.
Zeeuws Spek (Bacon form Zeeland)Cuisine: HollandDifficulty: Easy
1 kg of pork belly
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 large, red onion
50 grams caster sugar (brown)
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon mustard from Noord Holland
1 red chili pepper
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of smoked red paprika
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- Cut the rind from the bacon. Clean the onion, pepper and garlic and cut into pieces. Put this together with a tablespoon of both mustard types, the paprika and tomato paste in a food processor (yes, just 1 tablespoon of everything). Add 3 tablespoons of soy sauce and 50 grams of brown caster sugar.
- Grind this into a smooth marinade. Place the bacon and marinade in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius (=360F) . Place the bacon on a rack and make sure you have a tray for the dripping of fat underneath. Leave in the oven for 55 minutes.
- Spread some of the moisture from the dripping tray over the bacon every 15 minutes.
Than let the bacon cool to room temperature and serve with bread and mustard.
- That’s all! Enjoy yourself.
- Traditionally Zeeuws Spek was a piece of pork belly that was slowly boiled in water and than smoked.