My grandmother was born in Urk. When she was born, in 1916, Urk was still an ile. In 1939 Urk was connected to the mainland, but only in 1948 the first road connected Urk. Urk is famous for more than fish, but let’s stick to the food ;-). My grandmother would serve a stew with schol (plaice), today I will make Kabeljauw Gestoofd in Botersaus (Cod Sewed in Butter Sauce) because it’s to early in the season for paice.
My grandmother is gone a long time, but my memories of her will last forever. This dish is one of those warm memories.
Kabeljauw Gestoofd in BotersausCourse: Dutch AuthenticCuisine: DutchDifficulty: Easy
(Codfish Stewed in Butter Sauce)
4 pieces of cod fillets
250 gr butter
1 small red chilli pepper (without seeds)
1 clove of garlic
pepper and salt
1 tablespoon of coarse mustard
- Slice up the garlic, union and pepper and glace them in 50 grams of the butter. Don’t let it brown.
- Slowly melt the butter, put in the juice and the zest of the lemon and the mustard.
- Grind some salt and pepper over the cod and put the cod in the melted butter. Cook slowly, about 8 minutes, with a spoon frequently drizzle the cod with the butter. Check the fish regular.
- Carefully take the cod out of the pan onto a plate. Bring the sauce to taste with salt and pepper. If you like, put some more mustard in. Put in the cut parsley and serve.
- I served the stewed cod with potatoes and broccoli. Be generous with the saus!
- The potatoes are cooked for 20 minutes, the broccoli I baked in a baking pan with some olive oil, quenched with broth.